It’s time for our Friday giveaway!
Our Jan 20 #FlareFabricsTGIF giveaway is 4 batik fat quarters from such great fabric manufacturers as TImeless Treasure, Benartex and Robert Kaufman.
The Jan 20 colour selection are blue winter hues – reminding me of snow, ice and rain plus dreamy southern skies!
To enter our draw, head to our Facebook page and post a comment. Have a great weekend and we’ll announce the winner Monday.
Rainbow Swirl – January’s FREE pattern for Club Members
It’s not too late to register for our Creative Grids Ruler Club and get a great deal on the Creative Grid 6″ Curvy Log Cabin Trim Tool!
I love this ruler – sew straight lines but the end result is curves! What could be better?
Creative Grid Rulers are top of the line – made in the U.S. their trademark exclusive gripper dots really hold the fabric in place. No Slipping.
January’s Creative Grid Club Selection – Save 15%
Create the illusion of curves with this 6 inch version of our popular Curvy Log Cabin Trim Tool. Mark the wrong side of the center square through the holes on the ruler to ensure a perfect seam allowance. Then sew a round two narrow strips and two wide strips and trim. Add two more rounds to complete a perfect 6 inch finished block. Sew four blocks together to piece a circle which finishes to 12 inches.
Creative Grids provides fantastic instructions, story boards and videos – and all will be available on our website for support.
To join the club, and receive your 6″ Curvy Log Cabin Trim Tool by the end of January, just register online by Friday, January 20 and we’ll take it from there. You save 15% by becoming a CLUB member, plus a FREE pattern, Rainbow Swirls, to use with your new ruler.
Winter is HERE! Cold weather means cozy quilts – and what’s better to cuddle up with than warm, cozy, soft flannel? But quilting and sewing with flannel can be tricky – it doesn’t behave like your standard quilting cottons. So here are some tips for working with flannel.
- Buy more fabric than you think you will need – at least 1/4 yard more. Flannels shrink and fray more than traditional quilting cotton when washed and dried.
- If pre-washing, use mild detergent and no bleach. To minimize fraying, put your flannel inside a large pillowcase and pin shut.
- Dry on a high setting to get maximum shrinkage (better before than after you’ve sewn your project!). Add a large bath towel into the dryer – this helps prevent twisting and minimizes wrinkles and creases. Don’t overdry though.
- If your project is a quilt, choose a simple design, with large, uncomplicated blocks. Avoid sewing with tiny pieces.
- Flannel has more stretch than quilting cotton so PRESS, don’t iron. Also you can spray starch before cutting. This not only helps prevent stretching, but also helps any slide and possible fraying. Handle your flannel with care.
- Larger flannel pieces make it easier to control stretching, so again, choose a simple quilt pattern.
- Now is the time to use your large (60mm) rotary cutter!
- Use a new, sharp needle, size 12/80
- Increase your stitch length to 3 (12 stitches/inch). A shorter stitch length can add a stretch the flannel and makes it harder to pull out a seam if you make a mistake 🙂
- Do not use steam when pressing. (Remember – don’t IRON!)
- Clean your bobbin area often. Flannel leaves a lot of lint behind.
- As flannel is a heavier weight than quilting cotton, use a low-loft batting.
- If you are machine quilting, use a longer stitch length.
- For hand quilters, use perle cotton.
- You’ll need a slightly wider strip for binding to compensate for the weight of flannel. Cut at least 2.5 in. wide for a French fold (or double fold) binding.
What can you make with flannel?
Clothing such as scarves, baby layettes, shirts, pajama pants, jacket lining, nightgowns, bathrobes
Blankets! Just think of cuddly baby receiving blankets or as backing of fleece blankets. Rag quilts.
Bedding such as for cribs or entire bed sets. It’s incredible snuggly for winter!
Baby bibs, burb cloths
Dog beds, blankets.
Stuffed animals and other plushies
Check out our newest Deal of the Week – Lecien Isso Ecco + Heart Flowers – for only $10 yard. That’s a savings of $5 on this gorgeous oxford/canvas weight, 100% cotton fabric, perfect for bags, totes, purses, pillows and other home decor items.
33% savings until Sunday, January 8 at midnight, EST.
Posted in Deal of the Week, Fabric
Tagged 100% cotton fabric, canvas, crafting, DIY, flowers, handbag fabric, home decor, Lecien Fabrics, oxford cloth, pink, purple, sewing
Happy Holidays! And Our Boxing Week Sale Starts NOW!Save 19.99% on all BATIKS!
We’re starting early, I know – but with Christmas Day a Sunday we wanted to reach everyone before they left their work and email behind to enjoy family and friends.
The sale runs from Dec 23, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017. More than 450 items are on all – all yardage, pre-cuts, jelly rolls, fat quarter bundles, layer cakes, charm packs — anything in the BATIK category.
You’ll get great deals of new fabric as well as items already on SALE!
USE COUPON CODE: HOLIDAY2016
- Fabric sells out quickly. Quantities are limited and cannot be backordered.
- We always strive to send fabric as one continuous piece off the bolt; however sometimes this is not possible. Please indicate in the comments section if you require this feature.
- Orders are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- We will send what we have — and of course adjust your bill accordingly — if you do not add specific instructions during checkout.
- Shipping starts January 3, 2017. Please allow extra shipping time for this order!
Our online shop is always open!
But just a reminder that product orders placed between Dec 24, 2016 and New Years will ship the first week of January, 2017!
Have a great holiday everyone.
Thank you for supporting our small Canadian online fabric store ~ Marlene
Our Dec 2 #FlareFabricsTGIF giveaway this week is a mini jelly roll by Studio E fabrics – 18 different rich browns perfect for this time of year.
To enter to win, head to our Facebook page and post a comment.
Have a great weekend and we’ll announce the winner Monday!