The San Clemente tote bag pattern by A Quilter’s Dream is a favourite of ours at Flare Fabrics. Its simple construction makes it a great project for beginners and experienced quilters alike. Just 6 fat quarters is all the fabric you need for outside, lining and 2 good-sized pockets. Its the perfect size to carry around your belongings for the day, and you can easily make this bag in a few hours.
- We decided to create a new version of this kit inspired by arrival of a few mild days, hinting that spring is finally around the corner!
- The Tadashi line by Red Rooster fabrics is a perfect fit — the black fabric with cranes and flowers makes a beautiful centre piece, complimented by the lovely pink peonies, pinwheels, cherry blossoms and floral medallions. We used a black floral fabric for the bottom and handles. All the fabrics have accents of metallic gold that add to the richness of the patterns.
- I had a hard time deciding where to place the fabrics, but am happy with what I settled on. It’s balanced, but asymmetrical. The instructions call for the two side panels to match the centre stripe of the bag, but for this one I used all different fabrics for those 3 pieces on the outside of the bag.
- I decided to keep the inside asymmetrical as well–the pockets could be made to match (with the same fabric inside the pocket and outside on both) or can be attached facing opposite directions.
- It’s always a bit tricky lining up the finished outside of the bag and the lining for the final seam before turning inside out. I had to re-do it once because the side panels didn’t line up the first time, but I took my time and used pins to line it up before sewing the second time and it worked out very well the second time. 🙂
- I didn’t do any quilting on the bag, but decided to use a fancy top stitch around the top of the bag and on the handles — and chose this starburst pattern because it matched the pink pinwheels so well.
- Here’s a photo of the inside finished bag!
- You’ll find the kit online here and the Tadashi fabric here.