We have recently received quite an extensive collection of patterns for e-reader and iPad cases. I was so excited about them because I know a few people for whom this will be the perfect holiday gift!
I decided to test out “Reader Keepers” by Java House Quilts, and share it with you. You can click here to view the pattern on our website. The absolute best thing about this pattern is that it allows you to adjust the dimensions according to whether you will be enclosing and iPad, iPad mini, Kindle, Kobo or even just an old-fashioned book.
The pattern calls for 3 fat quarters. I chose 3 fabrics from the Curious Nature line by Parson Gray in blue-ish tones to create a more unisex feel to the reader case. Left, is a photo of the fabrics I picked out.
I figured out where I wanted to put each fabric–I used Cocoons in Tin for the inside of the case, Empire Mark in Tailcoat for the main fabric and Dimitri Vines in Silver for the contrast and binding fabric. Then got started on piecing the fabrics together. The pattern was very easy to follow for the most part. There were a few steps that confused me at first. For example, when inserting the pocket plastic for the business card holder, I got confused about which side of the fabric I should be working on. I also left out the glasses pocket because I thought the case would fit my reader better without it.
The rest of the instructions were very easy to follow and I was able to put the whole case together in a few hours. Here are some photos of my process:
I pieced together the outside and quilted through the main piece, interfacing, batting, and muslin. I decided to sew some simple wavy lines that reference the main fabric pattern. I sewed them on a diagonal to create variety.
I cut and created the lining, the inside pocket for a sticky-note pad and business card holder. This was where I had some confusion–I had to fold the fabric right sides together, over the pocket plastic, then fold it back over the seam and behind the pocket piece to create a ‘mock binding’. Using fabric glue for this part was very helpful because you can’t sew right through the plastic too many times.
Next, I stitched the layers together at the top and bottom of the case, created the fold and sewed a seam up either side. I was a little skeptical about the lining being cut smaller than the outside of the case, but the measurements worked out perfectly.
After this step, the case is complete except for the button closure.
I skipped the applique flower for now (I might try that on the next one) and followed the easy instructions for the button closure.
Below are photos of the finished piece, shown holding the HP tablet that I made it for, a sticky-note pad, and of course, a Flare Fabrics business card!
I will definitely be making more of these!
We’ve got a few kits available in either the Curious Nature collection – or we’ve also done up a sample using the Relish colourway of Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt.